Forum home Plants

Container rose for fence - north- shade. Alberic barbier or the pilgrim?

TinglyTingly Posts: 140

Helo there

I need to grow a rose (well actually two to form an arch)  on a north east boder, next to a fence, in a container .(too near a building to be planted)

i need it to grow 6ft 6 upwards and 6 ft across (in other words 12.6 feet)

after going through plantfinders I have come up with two- alberic barbier or the pilgrim

Just wondered if anyone out there had any insight/preference of either of these two please?

many thanks as usual

• TinglyTingly Posts: 140

Thanks Pansyface- looks like the pilgrim wins then!

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,498

Alberic Barbier is a lovely rose but it is big and needs to spread it's roots; not good for a container as pansy says.

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.

Thanks Redwing - i will try the pilgrim- "he who would valiant be" as the song goes!!!

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,772

I have "The Pilgrim" in a pot. It's lovely, but needs feeding and watering more often than it would if it were in the ground. This was it last year, but it's not quite out yet.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.

Oh how lovely! Thanks so much for the photo. Theres lots on the shop websites but i never trust them! Thanks busylizzieimage

Busy Lizzie- how big is your pot and how big is your rose please? Just working out what size pot i would need for 12 foot of growth.

thanks

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,772

The pot is 50cms tall and 55cms wide at the top. Not sure about the rose, depends on time of year and whether I've just pruned it! Need a step ladder. Think it's about 10 feet in that photo. It's 6 or 7 years old.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.

Ooh great-thanks- i better get a couple of big pots then.

Busy Lizzie- how big is your pot and how big is your rose please? Just working out what size pot i would need for 12 foot of growth.

thanks

Ooh great-thanks- i better get a couple of big pots then.