Forum home Talkback

Spring bulbs - what to do with ones I have found?

Hello I am quite new to gardening & have had an allotment for about a year. I enthusiastically bought a lot of Spring bulbs last year (2015) that should have been planted in the autumn. However they got pushed to the back of the shed & I just found them. They are in nets & have little tubers growing from them. They look quite healthy. If I plant them now, will they come up in the Spring of 2017?  Or should I plant them in Autumn 2016 or just bin them?  

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,093

Plant them, they may do OK and flower next year.

Don't keep them til autumn. Bin them if they'll take up too much space in your garden.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,540

They need to be planted in pots or in the ground or they'll wither and die.   I potted some up 4 weeks ago after finding them hiding in my garage.   Most are shooting and the hyacinths have flower buds.   Even if they don't flower this year they'll grow foliage and roots and feed the bulb for flowers next year.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949
    Plant them! I found bulbs in the shed that I have no idea how they got there a few weeks ago. Planted out they're already putting up a show of green and if they don't flower this year at least they're feeding the bulb with nurtients for a lovely display next year.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,999

What sort of bulbs are they? 

• Paula14Paula14 Posts: 2
    They are daffodils & crocuses. I will plant them.

Thank you everyone for your speedy responses. Much appreciated.