Forum home Plants

What are your favourite scented plants?

HeftyHefty Posts: 370

I love the scent of various flowers, and would like to get lots more - so i was wondering what are your favourites and why? and what do they smell of?

any tips for "using" the scent? for example, which ones can u cut and keep in your draws/cupboards to keep them smelling fresh etc etc ?

personally, im a big fan of night scented stocks, they smell so sweeeet and from such small dainty flowers image

• B3B3 Posts: 12,727

Jasmine

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Honeysuckles for me. Winter flowering or the summer varieties. A heady scent on a warm summers evening. Or a scent on a cold winters day. I grow lots of scented plants but they are hard to beat. Love sweet peas too.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,733

Honeysuckle for me too, and Sweet Rocket, another that casts its scent on warm evening air and smells like a cross between night scented stocks and parma violet sweets. 

And on a sunny winter's day, the scent of Sweet Box is magical image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,107

Fritillaria imperialis, crown imperials. I like to sniff the bulbs.

and Phuopsis stylosa, the smell of the foliage, similar type of smell.

and honeysuckle, sarcococca, daphne,

lots of stuff but not philadelphus or privet

• HeftyHefty Posts: 370

@hollyhock - i grew some last year and hung them on the wall outside at head height and would go out every night especially to give them a whiff!

i also love the fragrance from Lemon Verbena leaves, so fresh and lemony!

i have space for a climber so ill look into honeysuckle i think image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,733

Oh, and I've just remembered the wonderful smell you get when you bury your face in a bunch of lilac blooms image

Nut, I like the smell of Fritillaria imperialis too image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• HeftyHefty Posts: 370

ive heard great things about Daphne but they always seem to be rather expensive (£25+)

yes i heard Lilacs smell nice, of what tho? sweet? spicey? etc?

ah and another fav of mine is Heliotrope Marine Blue, smells like sweet cheesecake image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.