Forum home Tools and techniques

Trellis & Posts

Our current trellis and posts are either no longer facing up or almost rotted. Time for new. However, not sure if now is a good time. So, two questions.

1. If permitted on this forum, can anyone suggest websites or national garden related stores that sell a decent range of posts/trellis and do decent value delivery?

2. We've got 2 or 3 6ft trellis now rotten which is heavily leadened with honeysuckle across its top half with most of it going through the various natural gaps in the trellis for support. What's best way if you put up a new trellis to fix the honeysuckle to it? Wire? When is best time to change the trellis given a monster of a honeysuckle bush on one half and various rose bushes on the other half?

Thanks!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,524

We are doing ours now.  We had 6 x 1.8m trellis panels dividing th eveggie plot form the mai garden and the posts have gradually succumbed to strong winds and heavy rains and leaned more than Pisa whilsts the panels have rotted or have their middles blown out of their supporting frames.   

We used metposts the first time.  This time all but two of the posts are out and will be replaced by new ones buried in concrete boots.  We will then attach 5m x 2 metre panels of builders' wire mesh for reinforcing concrete.  It doesn't rot, doesn't break and will support my assorted clems and roses.   We already have some along the back perimeter and I use it to support pumpkins and trained blackberries and tayberries.

We also have a honeysuckle over on the far side and its trellis needs replacing so I shall simply cut back what I can't "untrain", put in new metal trellis as above and let the honeysuckle.  It doesn't need tying in but does need twining through to guide and support it.

Posts and metal mesh come from a local builders' merchants who are happy to deliver.   Cheaper than garden centres too.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,160

I put up an 'L' shaped trellis five or more years ago, the panels were 6 by 6 and treated with a preserve, four in all with wooden posts in metal stakes. I sourced the materials locally, a family run business, they weren't the cheapest but in terms of advise and supply they provided everything which was needed and free delivery, they were also cheaper than local GC';s.   

Trellis has never been painted and is over flowering with climbers apart from it looking a little weather worn it's as strong now as the day it went up.     

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,367

Hi Stephen - I've used a local builder's merchant for all my posts and timber. They're usually very competitive.  Some of them will do trellis too, though I've usually bought that from DIY stores. The heavy duty stuff with smaller 'holes'.

I've also made trellis using roofing battens which can be a useful way of dealing with awkward spaces image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I've found 'Forest' products to be pretty good.