Runner beans from seed

LandlubberLandlubber Posts: 396

The seeds have grown to about 6inches in there pots on the windowsill. When would be the best time to plant outside please?image

• You'll want to harden them off first LL before you plant them in their final placeimage

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Don't plant out until after the last frost. You'll have to guess the date.
  • chris 172chris 172 Posts: 403

Hi

up in the north east of England i plant my broad bean, runner and green beans in peat pots in mid April and plant in the ground when hopefully frost safe end of May.

Have always had great harvests off all

Happy gardening

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LandlubberLandlubber Posts: 396

I live in Essex guys and don't have a greenhouse, so going to be a little hit and miss then really.image

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,153

I agree with scroggin...You may have sown them too early, depending where you are in the country there can be up to four weeks difference in planting out times. Scotland being the last to plant out and the south being the first.

I'm in the NW and don't plan to sow runner/french beans until the end of April.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,234

I will be sowing my runners in the middle of May (Devon).

they will be planted out about mid June.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • chris 172chris 172 Posts: 403

Hi all

Once i have planted my beans in place i also plant a few seeds direct at the end just in case any of the plants are lost i simple transplant where gaps are made due to lost plants

Happy gardening

• LL.....your post made me rush to my little seed notebook.....just to make sure I'd not completely lost the plot and was in the wrong monthimage  

I don't tend to sow any of my beans until the latter part of April which is plenty early enough for me in the SWest.

I think you had a bad attack of "seed frenzy".......an annoying sickness which many people suffer fromimage