What are your most diisease free roses?

Mine (currently) are Jacques Cartier, Blush Noisette, Alain Blanchard, Madame Plantier because I like the old roses. Interested though to hear about anybody's experiences with different sorts, especially climbers and ramblers.

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,724

Pauls himalayan musk, new dawn, and shropshire lad are good for me ......as opposed to iceberg, st swithuns and constance spry, which normally get a bit of blackspot

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,724

....and cecile brunner is good tooimage

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • Ooh, nice ones chicky--thank you!

yes, I am also finding the David Austin ones not all that healthy--my garden very enclosed so I get mildew on susceptible forms, and then it has terrible soil so most roses get bs if they have any China in them. But my Alba is proving a better choice--I figured a healthy once-flowering rose beat a sickly plant with nice flowers... recently planted Queen of Denmark too, I can't wait for the flowers this summer.

• Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

I also find the David Austin roses prone to blackspot and aphids. My Rugosa hedge is disease free, gets a few aphids but they don't appear to worry the plants at all. Ballerina is also a very healthy rose with very few aphids.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,565

Rosa Bonica https://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/bonica-rose-bushes-shrub

Such a pretty rose with lovely foliage - I've been growing it in different gardens for 30 years and have never ever known it to get any disease  - it flowers non stop and is a lovely cut flower too. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Blanc Double de Coubert, Celeste, William Lobb, Buff Beauty, Felicite Parmentier, Mme. Gregory Stachelin are good.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,205

Alberic Barbier, Maigold, Warm Welcome, Blush Noisette, Canary Bird, Goldfinch, Bobbie James, Rambling Rector, The Generous Gardener, Felicité et Perpetué, Gertrude Jekyll, Ali Baba, Arthur Bell climber, Adelaide d'Orleans and Mischief.

All good.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

Gertrude Jekyll, Lady of the Lake, Bridge of Sighs.

• These are lovely suggestions. I have never grown Felicite Parmentier but always longed to. Maybe in the retirement garden image

I haven't tried Buff Beauty, but yes Cornelia which has some bs but tolerable.

I've liked 'Lyda Rose' at Peter Beales not far from me and also at the St Albans garden, but have no sense of the disease resistance of that.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,565

I grew Buff Beauty in a couple of earlier gardens - it flowered its socks off and never showed signs of disease despite being in a rather inhospitable north-facing back yard.  It also struck very easily from cuttings image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh