Dog wee and my lawn

Hi My little lawn is about to cease existence due to all the bare patches due to my 3 dogs spending a penny on the grass. I tried to do some patch repair but was not successful. I really want to keep the lawn and not go for paving etc but am at a loss as to what to do. Can anyone come up with some advice or attractive alternatives?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,539

Hi Rainbow image

If your garden isn't big enough to devote a special area for your dogs, then I'd go with an artificial lawn http://www.forevergreenlawns.co.uk/artificial-grass-for-pets/   (Other suppliers are available  image)

I never thought I'd hear myself saying that, but in your case I think it's the best solution image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• cornellycornelly Posts: 732

As Dovefromabove has put a link for you I can recommend Artificial turf, as next door to us have five dogs, and have removed most of their turf and replaced with artificial, looks good, and easy to keep clear of all what the dogs leave.

• Rainbow2Rainbow2 Posts: 13

Thank you.it had crossed my mind to go artificial but thought it would discolour. Both you and cornelly have suggested sites and I will investigate the possibility.Thank you.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,539

If you go ahead with it let us know how you get on - it'd be good to have the Voice of Experience on here image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Let us know how you get on. I heard female dogs urine is more damaging than males (I guess they cock their leg up against something anyway). I'm a bit worried about this - we're getting a puppy next month although he is male. 

• cornellycornelly Posts: 732

Next doors doesn't discolour, and with five dogs it would show, mind there is a fair bit covered with artificial lawn, its a large garden.

• I found this info on the net

The urine acts as a liquid fertiliser, but can produce nitrogen overload where the puddle of urine is deepest. This "burns" the grass, creating a brown patch in the lawn.

Towards the outside of the puddle, where less nitrogen has been applied, there can be a fertilising effect leading to a ring of luxuriant, greener grass. The urine of dogs and bitches does not differ much but, while dogs tend to deliver small samples of urine to mark their territory, bitches tend to empty their bladders entirely, causing more harm. Train your dogs to urinate in a designated place or follow them out of the house with a hose pipe or watering can to dilute their urine. Having, for some time now, made an effort to ensure my dog's urine spots are sufficiently diluted, I can attest that those spots are the lushest, richest green areas of my lawn.

• Dilute it using a watering can immediately after they go.

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 907

I noticed this product in Pets at Home at the weekend

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/dog/dog-training/dog-toilet-training/dog-rocks-lawn-burn-supplement-200gm

I have no idea how good / practical they are but might be worth a try. I've tried the running-after-the-dog-with-a-watering-can technique and it's a pain in the proverbial. 

• chelchel Posts: 21

I have heard that giving them a teaspoon of tomato puree in their food stops it. Maybe worth a try?