Forum home Talkback

help needed with hyacinth bulb grown in jar

dodododo Posts: 32

hello for the first time ever I tried to grow a hyacinth and a crocus in a jar , with just water at the root system. they were a success but now they have finished flowering

,do I leave them in the water jar,  or can I take the bulb out and dry it out, then ,start it again another time by putting it in a dark place

.or do I plant it out in the garden or in a pot with compost in the house .  

any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,786

Hello  Dodo and welcome image

Take them out of the jar and plant them in the garden and give them some general fertiliser - they will carry on growing for a while then die down in the summer - as they  die down the nutrition in the leaves (which will have been provided by the fertiliser) will pass back into the bulbs to form flower buds which will bloom in your garden next spring.  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• dodododo Posts: 32

ok thankyou for that info , if I get a new hyacinth bulb can I grow another one in a jar too or is it a special bulb

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,786
    Next September buy a "prepared hyacinth bulb" and put it in the vase. Keep it in the cool and dark until a flower bud is showing clearly then bring it into the light. You should have a bloom for Christmas. image
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• dodododo Posts: 32

thankyou