Forum home Garden design

Pond

I have put in a pond and have edged it with stones pleased with the effect but can anyone give me some ideas of plants I can put in to soften the stones. It is shaded for quite a bit of the day. Thanks

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

Hi.... Some of the hardy geraniums are fine with dry shade.   Check out PlantsforShade.co,uk     Also... an inexpensive idea would be just to seed with regular rye grass.   I think lots of people use hostas near ponds but I don't know anything about hostas so don't know if they need sun or not.  I have campanula portenschlagiana on the dry mound at the end of my pond and it is slowly covering it.  I also think erigeron karvinskianus is lovely, and where I live I see it in cracks on a wall in shade and on rock walls along a river.  

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

http://www.rhsplants.co.uk/plants/_/perennials/erigeron-karvinskianus-/itemno.RH30001395/ This says full sun but I know I see it in the shade.  That would explain why it's not doing well where I put it!  image   But my campunula is definitely surviving in shade.   Also... wild strawberries will grow  anywhere.  (But won't be sweet in the shade.)

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 30,476

Hostas , hostas and yet more hostas. 

Devon.
  • Water Iris, King Cup and bull rushes to name but three

Hope this helps

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 42,435

Carexes will be happy as long as the soil doesn't get too dried out. Ideal pondside plants. Look for the evergreen ones. 

What else do you have growing nearby? That will help with advice. Ideally you want some plants linking the pond with the surroundings, and to give emerging creatures some cover. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....