Very Weedy Flower Bed

Hi All,

We bought a house that we refurbished and this year we are looking to make a start on preparing the garden for next year, it is in a real state. 

The first thing I want to do is rid a raised flower bed of all of the many weeds that are in it so that we can keep some of the soil to use next year. I yesterday turned all of the flower bed over taking out as many weeds as I could, but it is just full of them. Can anyone recommend a weed killer to use that won't render the soil useless, or do I just have to keep doing manually as I have been?

Thanks all

Dan

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

My beds are like this every single year. I use weed killer on the ground elder now as it spreads like wildfire but the rest I'm afraid it's hoeing central.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

It depends what type of weeds you have, annual weeds are easily removed by hand as are some perennial weeds, like creeping buttercup. Deep rooted weeds like dock or dandelion are easy to treat using a touch weedkiller like roundup gel. Now's a good time to get weeding they're coming out easily.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,750

As Dave says, annual weeds are easily pulled-up, but like you I also have a bed that has masses of bittercress, celandine and my main enemy arum!

If you don't want to pull up the weeds, then use a product with glyphosphate - e.g. roundup etc
    It is neutralised on contact with the soil.
    It's a systemic weedkiller so is absorbed into the plant via the leaves and it will die. It is absorbed by the leaves only, so will kill anything it touches, including your favourite plants. Best to use when the weeds are actively growing.
    However.... stuff like docks will need 2 or 3 applications over 3-4 weeks to kill it and sadly it seems to have no effect on the arums thanks to their leathery shiny leaves, so the only option with them is to keep hoeing.

best of luck!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thanks guys, will go get my hands on some weedkiller then. Just out of curiosity, one I have applied the killer and the weeds are dead, do I need to pull them out still or can I just turn over the soil and leave them in there?

Thanks again

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,750

You can leave them there, but it's not good practise, they'll harbour fungal spores and all sorts of nasties, just use a rake when they're dead and they'll come out easily. The roots don't matter, but you may need to re-apply killer for some tough weeds

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • emma louemma lou Posts: 159

Seems to be a lot of discussion about getting rid of the weeds with weedkiller, but how about using a weed burner? Long term is heaps cheaper and better for the environment.