Sunflower seedlings

Bonsai-MarcBonsai-Marc Posts: 444

i have 9 that just shot up almost 2inch in a week

thinking maybe i should move away from light source a bit before they get too leggy and fall over?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,449

No! image That'll make them leggy and fall over.  They need more light not less.  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Bonsai-MarcBonsai-Marc Posts: 444

ok but they will be a foot tall in a week at this rate  lol

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,087

It's because they already haven't got enough light. Put them outside for a few hours each day. That'll sort them out. (Out of the wind)

they have loads of light and sun set on them, would hardly get anymore outside

my garden has no wind cover in any direction so only other option is the garage at window. others out there doing well, same sun set location also

• JoneskJonesk Posts: 205

Hi Bonsai, I've been debating when to best plant mine for a good display. Going to hold off a few more weeks I think listening to your experience - Sounds like I'd be well out of room before I can get them outside!! Have you tried planting direct outside before? Which is the best way to go for really big blooms?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,235

This is what happens when seeds are sown too early, they will be very tall by the time you can plant them out in May.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Marc - believe me, the strength of light received through a window is totally different to light received by a plant outside.  Even in a greenhouse plants don't get as much light as those outside. 

Get some large clear plastic water/lemonade bottles.  Cut the bases off and take the caps off (you can drink the water/lemonade if you wish image)

Put the plants outside and put the bottles over them like cloches - that'll protect them from the wind and slugs and they'll grow strong and sturdy.

But I'm not going to sow mine until the end of April.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Like this

but keep yours in their pots so you can take them indoors at night in case of frosts.

• Mine are out too guys, one under a bottle just like this one above, and 6 in big pots. I've heard that sunflower seedlings are frost hardy and so far none of my 7 have died, have been out in all weathers for about a month and all ok. The one under the bottle has done the best.

i thought was a good time of year to start

im keeping them in for a few weeks, then start outside for a while and then plant out in position

maybe pot on soon and try to put them out during day as often as i can. they may still fit into a bottle by then