Strawberry Plants

I have inherited several strawberry plants on my new allotment plot - they are choked with weeds / couch grass etc so I thought I'd transplant them to my garden.

Any advice? I'm reading sandy / loam soil slightly acidic - when is it best to do it?

Thanks in advance

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,461

The sooner the better.  Concentrate on the younger plants which have hopefully grown from runners and have no or only a small amount of woody stem.  Those with long woody stems are old plants and are past their best.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,754

Plant them at least a foot apart and give them plenty of garden compost.  If they're new from runners, don't let them fruit this year - well, alright, let a couple of plants fruit if you like.  This helps to ensure that they'll be more productive in the next two years. 

You can, however, allow each plant to make ONE runner with ONE new plant on it in July/August, which will then double the number of fruiting plants you have next year, (You can let those new runners fruit as they'll be almost a year old).  Cut off extra runners as soon as you see them, to prevent the plant using its resources making them.

Give them some wood ash and another dose of compost next spring, keep the fruit off the ground and the slugs at bay and you'll be eating them next summer image

• Road Apple StewRoad Apple Stew Posts: 89

Thanks chaps