Forum home Plants

Molly the Witch in trouble

nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,568

What's going on here? Both my Mollys have a problem as do 2 of the second year seedlings of fidgets Blushed Molly. One of the victims must be 15 or 20 years old the other 5 or 6. It looks like a mould but may not be. I only have one other herbaceous paeony, peregrina, and that is unaffected.

these have never been other than healthy before

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,428

maybe just one of those things which will outgrow itself?

Devon.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,568

I hope so Hosta, but some bits are sort of crispy to touch. image

It's only been noticeable in the last few days.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

Fingers crossed nut.  Does look a bit like a powdery mildew though. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

Does that go away when the plant goes dormant Bob?

These plants have all been affected at the same time, this is a big garden and nothing is closer than 50 yards from either on the others.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I don't know what your soil is like nut but it's been very dry recently. Can't hurt to spray for mildew.

It's not as dry as it has been some years Dave, though we've had nothing like the rain some areas have had. The ponds have filled up, that's ground water and they don't fill every winter.

• LandlubberLandlubber Posts: 396

sure hope its nothing serious nutcutletimage

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,160

This might sound daft. Some plants in my garden are more advanced than usual for this time of year. The growth is a bit soft. A  sharp frost has damaged some some growth. I am hoping it will outgrow it, but it has knocked the plants back.

Could it possibly be that?. I know they are hardy plants, but soft growth gets damaged by frost.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

They are ahead of their usual timetable fidget but it doesn't look like any frost damage I've seen before.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,476

They weren't looking like that the other day were they?  We didn't look closely but I'd have thought we'd have noticed that.

Yours are further ahead than mine is - the leaves aren't opening yet. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh