Optunia question

Some of you will recognise my Optunia which is growing perfectly now producing its third 'pad' but I was wondering that with rain protection would it be ok outside? Thank you everyone and looking forward to your comments image

• Some species of Opuntia are fully hardy in the UK, only requiring sharp drainage, and they don't even need rain protection. Do you know what species it is?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,940

Think this is one Ryan took a cutting from while on holiday in Spain?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• RHgardener1RHgardener1 Posts: 344

Aha Dove you were close but it was actually southern France and Alan I'm afraid I have no name of the specimen but i could post a picture if that would be of any help? image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,611

Ryan, Not sure if I've mentioned this before . There's a " hardy tropical gardening" group on FB, they'd be able to help with cacti and stuff. Very knowledgeable lot there.

Bit like us lot really eh? 

Devon.
  • There are lots of Opuntias so it might not be easy to identify it exactly, but I might be able to make a guess, especially if you have a photo of the flowers. No guarantee though!

Oh ok Hosta thanks for that I never knew there was one I'll have to check it out and Alan I have no flowers at the moment but it may do well here as the area does occasionally have low temps and really harsh storms
    So rain will not likely be a problem

Ryan, I'm very much a spectator on that fb group, but they sure are passionate.

Devon.
    Ah cool I'll have to check it out Hosta thank you image

they're worldwide so don't be surprised by some of the stuff they talk about.

Devon.