Chipping sweet pea seeds

Hi,

I have finally got around to the Big Sow (better late than never).

Having read that my usual method of sowing sweet pea seeds (soak overnight, then plant) is wrong, I have tried chipping them.

I have lots of problems with strength and stiffness and muscle fatigue in my joints, including my fingers. After 2 packets of seed  barely chipped at all, I am ready to throw in the towel. Is there an easier way?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,472
    I don't chip them and I don't soak them. I just sow them in moist compost. They germinate just fine image
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I don't chip them either too fiddly. Do as dove suggests. Life's too short.

• Frankie6Frankie6 Posts: 81

I must admit (3 packs in and an awful lot to go) if just sowing them in moist compost works just as well, I am happy to give this up. 

As a gardener with all kinds of strength/joint issues, I would welcome an advice thread on work arounds for aspects of gardening which are tricky.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,234

I do as Dove does.

Which aspects are particularly tricky for you?

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,978

Frankie, I'm sure there are lots of people on the forum who garden with a disability.  You should start a thread and invite members to share tips and advice.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • I've tried chipping Sweet Peas and not chipping them..........for the aggro involved, I've never noticed any difference in the germination.

You can scarify those seeds which need it by rubbing them on fine sandpaper but unless they are large seeds you do tend to also give your nails an unintended manicure.image

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I don't chip or soak just sow,they come up OKimage
  • I was told by a sweet pea grower to put them on damp kitchen paper and when they start growing a tiny white root plant them on....got the best crop ever last year...so using same method this year.

• Frankie6Frankie6 Posts: 81

Thanks for all the helpful comments!  Busy Lizzie, I find holding them with enough force to keep them still, difficult, then exerting enough pressure  and control on the knife. I sharpened the knife to make it easier, but that just increased the chances of cutting myself, as it skittered off the surface because I don't have the hand strength (can I just say I haven't hit 50 yet; problems due to genetic flaw not age).

I started using a rasp instead to scarify them, but now, encouraged by forum replies, I gave in and have just soaked the rest for a bit! 17 packets of sweet peas in pots image

Next year I might give each of the easier methods a go and see which has the best success rate for me. 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,234

All mine have germinated without soaking, King's seeds. Eagle seeds are excellent too. The ones I didn't have much success with were T&M. So it may be the supplier, not the method.

I didn't mean problems just with chipping sweet peas, I was wondering generally how your problems affect your gardening. I am getting arthritis in my hands, especially the left one which I used for pulling up the weeds that I have dug with my trowel in my right hand. Sometimes I lose my grip and drop things. I used to hand milk Jersey cows, think that was the cause - and genetics.

Dordogne and Norfolk