Pea shoots

I would like to grow pea shoots to use in salads and for garnish. What are the best varieties to use, and the best growing method.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,938

Hi Clawdia image

All you need to know here http://www.golightlygardens.com/how-to-grow-pea-shoots-quickly-and-cheaply/

as she says, don't buy 'proper' pea seed - use marrowfat peas from the grocer.  Much cheaper image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• chris 172chris 172 Posts: 403

Hi Clawdia

I must admit I eat pea shoots from any of my peas at the allotment and also any of the lads/lasses plants at the garden.

They are so sweet I have got some of the gang eating them regular now as part of a snacking process when working up the allotment

If you want a good read I have a book written by Ayls Fowler on foraging and it is amazing at what you can eat not only on your garden, allotment but out in the open space, worth a read

Happy gardening

• Mel MMel M Posts: 347

I have grown pea shoots using ordinary dried peas from the supermarket. I planted them in moist MP compost in a 2 inch deep tray on a windowsill. Kept them moist and off they went.