Forum home Plants

Layered bulb pots

I planted layers of bulbs in pots, for the first time, last year. The crocuses are currently flowering and I'm looking forward to similar displays from the tulips and hyacinths. However, I'm not entirely sure how to deal with them once the flowering has ceased. My understanding is that tulips should be lifted each year, once the foliage has died back; which means that the other bulbs will have to come up too. Is this correct and is it also best to do this with the crocuses and hyacinths too (it would be nice to use the pots elsewhere)?

• Jason millyJason milly Posts: 546

Hello I do this system , after flowering I leave everything to die back and then leave the bulbs in the pot and then just plant summer plants in the pot .

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,270

I give the pots a good feed and water and put them in a quiet corner to die off.  If there are tulips in there I  make sure they're in a warm and sunny spot.  Then I pot them all up again with fresh MPC in the autumn.  

Tullips (other than species types) don't last many seasons, but they'll do well for a couple of years.

If you want to use the pots elsewhere just extract the mass of roots, bulbs and compost carefully and pop them into a similar sized cheap plastic pot for the duration.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,145

I'd do the same as Dove - if you want to use the pot for other planting, it's a good idea to use a plastic one for your bulbs - putting it into the 'good' one so that you can swap plants around as the year changes.

It means you can have a few nice pots for all your specimen plants, but you don't have to spend  time lifting and moving the plants every few months.  It's particularly useful if you have those awkward belly shaped pots where the middle is wider than the top and you can't get them out!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• That's great. Thanks for the advice everyone image