Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Vine weevils

• The most successful cure for vine weevil we have found is the nematode treatment and we no longer plant primulas as they are a magnet for the devils.
  • AT LONG LAST I HAVE FOUND AN ANSWER TO BEING ABLE TO RE USE COMPOST AFTER CLEARING OFF ANY WEEVIL GRUBS FROM INFECTED PLANT ROOTS! MY DAUGHTER REFURBISHED HER KITCHEN RECENTLY AND I MANAGED TO SALVAGE HER PERFECTLY GOOD MICROWAVE FROM THE SKIP! THIS IS NOW INSTALLED IN THE POTTING SHED AND ANY DOUBTFUL COMPOST IS PLACED IN A BOWL, SPRAYED WITH A LITTLE WATER AND ZAPPED FOR 5 TO 6 MINUTES! I THEN MIX IT IN WITH FRESH COMPOST, ADDING A LITTLE JOHN INNES FERTILIZER AND HEY PRESTO, NO MORE "LOST" EXPENSIVE COMPOST. THE TRIAL RESULTS SO FAR HAVE BEEN GREAT!!
  • Boxing Day and I decided to remove the frosted plants from my window boxes and what have I found some 20-30 vine weevil grubs alive and fat and well. Well they were! I expect them in April and May but not in December. Is this normal?
  • Reply to eggpway
    Large beetles like vine weevils are relatively long-lived (months probably) and since they are semi-subterranean or at least leaf-litter denizens, they are protected from extremes of wet and cold and can be found in any month of the year. They only become really active in warmer times though.
  • The information at the RHS site below is very useful as it explains the life cycle of the beetle and hence that September to March is the time of damage by the grub as it is becoming fully grown.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=234
  • Forgot to add that having explored the death of a potted variegated mint yesterday on a 4th floor balcony found vw grubs. (I squash them, lack the robin.) I clear out compost, search for adult beetles (which I have found in doors) but am not good at promptly repotting purchased plants in fresh compost. That's the Achilles Heel for container gardeners. Effectively only control in these circumstances is vigilance and not purchasing plants they are partial to, although a 'decoy' cyclamen may be useful.
  • whats the best way of getting rid of them
  • We only seem to get these annoying little pests in our patio pots, (of which their are many!) We have found that the only sure way of getting rid of them is to empty the pots in mid April, sieve the earth - yes it is very laborious - pick out all the grubs and put them in a large tray for the Blackbirds to eat for their evening meal, they love them! We then bag the compost, keep it dry, and in early June check it again in case any of them have survived - if all okay put around the garden and mix in with the soil.
  • I have just realised why so many of my patio pots have not been thriving this spring - my front patio with abou 15 pots on - seems riddled with the blighters. Going to attempt to use the solution - but fingers crossed - some of the plants they have attacked I really wouldnt want to lose
  • I have tried the Provado solution, drenched the pots as instructed but as yet, they are still alive, the maggot grub things.... do they ever die?