Waitrose and Slugs

I'm thinking of taking advantage of Waitrose's kind offer of free coffee grounds.  I'd like somebody experienced in these things to tell me whether or not coffee grounds actually do deter slugs.

I have my wheelbarrow poised in Waitrose and I'll fill it full of used coffee grounds once you give me the go ahead !

Thanks in anticipation

Chris

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    No it doesn't work I just googled it, I use just bought cat litter that works wellimage
  • BLTBLT Posts: 525

I was plagued by slugs n' snails and tried everything.. The best thing is a copper self adhesive tape you  still a ring of it around your pots and planters. Copper reactes with the slime electrostatically, so it gives the varmits a lil shock so they donot cross the tape/ Its called Barrier tape and its in garden centres for about £3 but its in Pound shops for a quid.. I used itthe last 2 years..  I also face my planted pots with sand they do not like that too..

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,366

Nice of Waitrose to give it away .

I find the best thing are frogs , hedgehogs and blackbirds/ thrushes.

I've got the best part of 1,000 Hostas and I'd be bankrupt if I had to use copper tape.image

Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,750

I didn't find they worked either

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LINDA FLINDA F Posts: 162

HI TO ALL I WAS PLAGUED WITH SLUGS LAST YEAR AND TRIED ALL SORTS TO GET RID OF THEM. SO I JUST KEPT HUNTING THEM OUT EVERY TIME I WAS IN THE GARDEN. I BEGAN COUNTING THEM BECAUSE I HAD SO MANY AND STOPPED WHEN I REACHED 1800. HOPING THIS YEAR THERE WILL BE LESS ,STARTED COUNTING THEM ALREADY AND ONLY GOT 6. LONG MAY THAT CONTINUE.LINDA.

• SueAtooSueAtoo Posts: 26

A slug 'pub' or trap baited with cheap beer or cleanings from your local. Best are the ones with a sieve so you don't have to dig up the whole thing to empty.

I couldn't go around here collecting! One slug lays 400 eggs in a year and they all lay eggs. No males.

• ZenjeffZenjeff Newcastle Upon Tyne Posts: 542

Use nematodes twice a year as instructions kills baby slugs underground I use every year and have little trouble with slug damage harmless to wildlife and pets ect will work well if used

So true Jeff, I have used those, they do work but you have to wait until it's warmer.

• goddygoddy Posts: 30

Hi everyone! Just been reading about the slugs, My problem are cats! I love them but not on my garden! I think it's about time legislation was brought in to keep them in at night. We dog owners have to pick up the mess but cat owners get away with it Scott free!!!