Forum home Tools and techniques

Watering Orchids

i have been given 2 beautiful  "mini cascade orchids"

- each "planted in moss fibre" in a glass bowl vase.  

Watering instructions say "water thoroughly every 1-2 weeks, allowing excess water to drain away. Do not allow plant to stand in water" - 

but the glass bowls prevent any drainage ???? ? so I darent water them - have had them for 6 days now.

please can a kind soul offer a "clue" on how I should proceed with watering (how often & how much?)  i believe you can over-water orchids - 

"Grateful" ???? Thankyou - 

• TadsTads Posts: 210

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,125

Never seen one in a glass bowl before, they are normally in see through plastic flower pots.

I would water one of two ways. If you have a mister I would spray the surface, or water directly and then tip the excess out.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,781
    Hmmm. I despair when I see this sort of "information" on plants. Yes, you can easily overwater orchids. In this case, I think it would be best to try to ingore the plant for as long as you can. I have similar orchids and I often genuinely forget to water them for a month at a time and they flourish.

Is the moss on the top lift-off-able? If so, when you decide to water them, I would take it right off, give the plant about half a cup of water, hold it upside down until every last drop has drained out again and then replace the moss. But with the moss acting as a lid I don't think it will need that more than once a month.

I anticipate that green slime will build up on the inside surface of the glass within two or three months.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

mmnnnn, Pansyface - thankyou, I agree with you - I am "furious" that they should mislead customers about watering ! 

Thanks so much for your "in-depth" advice - clearly you are an "understanding soul" - ???? just what I needed.   Ok I wont water them for a month (agree) but I will buy a spray, and give the foliage a spray once a week - and see how that goes. 

Your "kindness appreciated, Thankyou ????

And "Thankyou" too - Gardenmaiden, will use spray. ????

And "Thankyou" aym280 - i will get some orchid food & dissolve a little in the water, once a month......????

"Thankyou" to everyone ????????????

btw, I clicked on a 'happy face' icon in above reply - but I see all those ? came up, sorry ...

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,781

There. x

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

Oh - great thanx !  Will try again now ????

you see? This is what I get ! image 

oh, it worked ????