Forum home Talkback

going-bananas

Is there anybody growing banana plant on here if so what variety do you grow?

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,657
    Hi Dave,im thinking of having one when we move to Norfolk very soon and did a good bit of searching for info on and off the net, the results were going for a tougher plant for this country and its called Musa Basjoo,apparently Cornwall council who use them on traffic islands and around the towns (and wrap them up in winter) use them, also other councils im told use them,maybe your local council garden dept will help, they usually are very good if you get passed the person on the phone kind of thing, ok Dave good luck

Alan4711
  • DiddydoitDiddydoit Posts: 801

Hi Alan.

I managed to grow a red tiger banana and i have had id for over two years now.I live in the Northwest ( Cheshire ) I keep it in a large pot and store in my green house over the winter.I find it very difficult to grow them from seed,however the one that i have is now starting to send out side shoots,that when large enough i just slice them of with a sharp knife and pot them on.I did forget that i bough a dwarf banana this year and that also is sending side shoots off.I lived in Mexico for a while and the locals told me that to make them fruit they try to keep the plant to just four leaves.This then encourages the pland to thrust upwards and flower.

• LokelaniLokelani Posts: 112

We've had a musa basjoo for at least 10 years. We're in West Sussex.

It always used to get fleece wrapped for winter & was fine. Then for a few years we didn't bother. The top growth would die off but it would always come back, widening each year with enormous new sections all around the original.

A couple of years ago we started cutting it down to a manageable height for wrapping, this way it gets really tall again each year rather than just mid height & much wider! 

We even had a bunch of bananas grow on it one year! I'm not sure they're edible on this variety, or they didn't get big enough or ripe enough. We didn't eat them anyway.

We lost a red banana, not sure of the variety, but even wrapped it didn't survive the first winter sadly.

The leaves can look slightly tatty when it's been windy but when they first unfurl & are undamaged they look huge & amazing.

I now have four varieties in my collection which are musa bashoo,red tiger,dwarf,and a red abasynian banana.I am taking cutting as soon as i can just too increase my chances over the winter.I have such a passion for banana,s as they can make any garden have that tropicl effect.Are there any more out there?.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I HAD a Musa Basjoo, I was told it was the hardiest. It went into GH and survived one Winter, with fleece and regular attention that it didn't rot if it got damp and wrapped up. Nursed along okay, but in summer leaves tore in wind and it looked a mess. I tried to over winter again as I don't like to quit but a very bad winter and it died.  That's when my tree fern of 12 yrs died. That's Yorkshire for you.image  But we do get rain.image

David 3 If you love tropical looking / unusual things I also  HAD a Paulownia tomentosa, kept small it has leaves the size of dinner plates, brill....but alas not for my part of the country. 

Sorry to hear of your bad experience Kef,it doe's get more windy and colder further up north.I lost my palm several years ago when it dropped to -17.It was cold last year but i got my banana through it,i just stood it without any protective fleece inside my greenhouse.the leaves do rip in the wind but if they do get too tatty just cout them off.This in turn encourages new growth to form.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

David, I've also tried to grow them from seed several times but have failed miserably!  I'm impressed even if you only managed to get one to germinate.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Hi David 3, glad yours survive. I won't get another, I've so many new things to over winter since joining the forum that the green houses need elastic sides. Hope to see you on forum again. image

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

Musa basjoo is the one to go for. Ensete ventricosum v Maurelii and the plain Ensete ventricosum are reliable to come back after storing in a frost free place or with the leaves in a conservatory. They are the 3 have have. Cavendish are the Musa that we get edible bananas from but unless you have a large heated conservatory you are unlikely to get them here and they are difficult to over winter.

Ensete ventricosum, Ensete ventricosum,
  • GillyLGillyL Posts: 1,077

Ensette Maurelii,growing rapidly.