Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Hardy annuals

124»

• could anybody advice me if i can sow general ripe herbaceous perennial seed directly into small modular cells, rather than sowing into a seed tray and then transplanting into modular cells when the time is right?
  • I am also a fan of hardy annuals and am currently planting up a border which is shaded by a very large walnut tree. Any suggestions for annuals which would do well in this situation?
  • Well, you just can't beat sweet peas in my opinion!

I must admit I haven't grown many annuals before but I'm trying my hand at sunflowers (2 different varieties), night-scented stocks, nigella, scabious, teasels, poppies, cornflowers and forget-me-nots this year.
  • Kelly2Kelly2 Posts: 1
    I decided to little while ago to buy seeds and get a hanging basket, I have now gone to 2 hanging baskets and 2 big flower trough's lol. I have loads of hardy annuals but worried they will only last for 1 year but i read the advice ubove" Many hardy annuals also generously set seed. Either collect seed or let it fall onto the soil around and you'll have more flowers next year for free" so i take it they will drop seeds and then regrow? I am new to this its my first time but loving seeding flowers. I have Pansy mixes, petunia mixes, stock mixes, aster, candytuft, mesembryaanthemum, marigold, lobelia, forget me not, sweet peas, coleus mix, dahlia doble mixed and pompon mix and busy lizzies.cant wait for them to flower. Any advice would be great thanks
  • kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

@Kelly2 You have quite a mix here, some are not hardy so you would need to save the seed and store them to sow next year like Dahlias . Lobelias, Petunias, Busy Lizzies are all tender and do not tend to self seed.

Pansies and sweet peas are easy ones to collect the seeds, I always re sow in pots as the seedlings get eaten by the slugs/vermin over winter.

• I am just now learning about sowing hardy annuals directly into the soil, but my question is...How do I distinguish them from weeds when they start coming up in the spring?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,147

With difficulty, put a line of string along the row, when you see a line of all the same seedlings you'll know which is which,  beware of slugs getting there first, they love a new fresh seedling, 

I don't sow any seeds direct now for that same reason. If you keep potting them on and plant out a bigger plant they stand a better chance of survival. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,258

There's an easy way to distinguish between a weed and a desirable plant - just give it a gentle tug.  If it resists, it's a weed.  If it comes out, it WAS a desirable plant.image

• Lyn is right - sow your annuals in pots/cells/WHY and the plant out where you want them.

Josusa - you made me laugh but plenty of weeds come out easily too - particularly if the soil is dampimage