Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Hardy annuals

• I love annuals, I regularly have Sweetpeas, poppy's, begonia's, Busy Lizzies, this year I am even trying cornflowers, you can't beat Sunflowers for a good show.

Annuals everytime for me.

I do love the staple perennials, but annuals help to ring the changes
  • me and my mother grow busy lizzie bergonias sweet peas and marigolds for our baskets.I also scatter corn flowers love in the mist poppies infact anything i can get my hands on.Im waiting for pansys to come as i now have a window box to fill.Ilove any flower they all give me a buzz.
  • Hardy annuals are of great value to me as I use them to fill holes in my perrennial borders which are quite large and take some filling. As i garden on a very heavy clay soil which takes a long while to warm up in the spring, I have again this year, sown hardy annuals in trays and pots in my cold frame and now have them hardening off, ready to plant out in a week or two. This year, I've usedd some cottage garden seed mixtures and they seem to be coming along great. Can't wait for their flowers in the summer!
  • I grow quite a few annuals but having a high cold garden in Cumbria I have found its best to grew them all undercover, then planting out when frost hopefully has disappeared. They are great to fill the gaps that appear each year when I lose plants through winter, as I always seem to. That gives me time to think what else I might like to put in.
  • This is only my second year gardening but last year I grew the following from seed: dwarf sunflowers, cosmos, loads of marigolds. This year I am trying my hand at Clarkia which according to the article I read you sew straight in to the ground and forget about. I am growing the others as well as well as dwarf french beans and tumbling toms to go in hanging baskets. What a fab hobbie!
  • When you grow Annuals here is a tip to save transplanting
    Take the ones you like of similar height Godetia/Cornflower /Love in a mist/Poppies /Marigolds (not french ones)
    Shake them in to the same packet and sprinkle very thinly in wavy lines or rings among the Bushes or Perenials
    they will then throw their seeds for several years if you let them
    and give you a very colourful garden
  • I have over 300 sweet peas in pots waiting for planting out - there's nothing like them for colour and scent. I also love godetia and cosmos. I grow lots of flowers that make fantastic bouquets and cost a bomb in florists (if you can get them at all): malope, cerinthe, salpiglosis, eustoma (lisianthus), flax, cleome, tithonia, viscaria, moluccella, bupleurum, cosmidium, gaillardia. And things like night-scented stock and zalusianskaya that smell fantastic in the evening. It amazes me when people say annuals are too much trouble to grow.
  • obtain seed catalogues from the seed companies study them and try something new but dont forget thefavourites and dont forget the fragrances sweet peas are a must the beauty of annuals is you can ring the changes every season keep anote book handy enjoy your garden
  • Will the GW team be covering companion planting in any of the future items on veg growing? It was mentioned in passing on yesterday's programme (10th April), but more details and suggestions would be helpful, especially to novices. Thanks
  • every garden should grow night scented stock and enjoy the fragrance it is easily obtainable and well worth its place in any garden keep that note book handy and observe things season to season and never forget the biennials perennials are the same year after year BUT the annuals are more interesting as you can have achange every season