Forum home Tools and techniques

Mister / sprayer - recommendation sought

I mist some of my orchids. The problem is any mister/sprayer that I have ever bought has seemed to be useless. Recently, I purchased two different ones made by Hozelock, thinking that brand would guarantee functionality and longevity. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

Therefore, my question is: has anyone ever had the good luck to find a sprayer that lastet longer than five minutes and actually produced a fine spray/mist instead of dribbling, leaking, etc.?

• For the job in hand, I see nothing wrong with a Wilcos one, costing around 85p.

• Sophie17Sophie17 Posts: 342
    I have a wilko one that's always done a good job for me. I think it's in its 4th year nowimage I bought a small butterfly shaped one from b&m I think last year and I'm using it for my seed trays this year. Works fine but my husband said I look like a child when I'm using it!! Cheek! I guess it's trial and error as I've had some rotten ones in the past but touch wood I'm onto a winner at the moment
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,732

Over many years I've bought posh Hozelock ones and cheap Wilko's type ones.  I've never had a dud one - they all work equally well. 

The only problem has ever been that my OH 'borrows' them to do something and they never reappear in the garden shed so I go and buy another one. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,099

Tonio, I use one my OH got from her hairdresser - it has lasted for years. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • OnopordumOnopordum Posts: 390

I recently bought a 2L Spear & Jackson one for £6.99 from the local garden centre - about half the cost of a similar Hozelock one and looks better quality. My main concern is about the long term strength of the handle, considering it's quite heavy when full. Apart from that I like it - easy to pump up, good mist with an adjustable brass nozzle, no leaks/drips. It's this one here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spear-Jackson-2LPAPS-Pressure-Sprayer/dp/B013T16IWA

• TonioTonio Posts: 3

Many thanks for your tips. Seems I was just unlucky. I'll have a go with the Wilko or Spears & Jackson, depending on which one I come accross first.

Just keep twiddling the nozzle until you get the fineness of spray you need image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I've even re-used one of the daily shower  spray containers - well rinsed of course.  image