messy mulch

I have been persuaded to put manure and leaf mould all over my garden and I know it needed it. Now it just looks a mess and I'm worried that smaller stuff won't be able to push up through it. What can I do to make it look better? I don't really want to dig it in with a spade as I'm not sure what's trying to grow underneath it. Help please! 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,089

Some small plants can't get through a thick mulch and some don't like to be under any at all, especially those that have leaves though winter or those that like a sunny dry situation. I generally mulch round plants but the birds soon change that.

What's under there? some plants will be quite happy.

• PrivetPrivet Posts: 70

Thanks for that Verdun. It all seems fairly thick to me! I was really enjoying going out spotting things pushing up and now I feel as though I am just looking at horse poo! It has been under cover in a pile for well over six months but has not rotted down completely, so there seems to be quite a bit of straw in there too. I despair of the mess! My garden is only small.

nutcutlet, I should have kept a record of what was growing, but I failed on that one, therefore I have forgotten! As I said, I have really enjoyed going out each morning to see what is coming through. Heyho! If it dies, it can be replaced!

Thanks

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,089

That's the attitude, it will probably all survive, it's early yet.

It's not the best time of year for appearances, whatever early flowers you grow there are still a lot of gaps. 

Thanks both. Verdun, there is no smell to it, so thinking it is ok-ish. Maybe I'll just surreptitiously shove it to the back of the borders, maybe the OH won't notice!

Thanks again!

I feel better now from just having the chat - Thanks!

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,269

I never put the mulch directly on the plants, just around them. Mind you, OH has been helping so I don't know what's going on yet! 

Where work is concerned beggars can't be choosersimage

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Lyn, the trouble is I have forgotten what's lurking beneath the surface, waiting to come up, otherwise I could have avoided them