Forum home Garden design

Imagination required!

2»

• Thankyou all for your suggestions! That's certainly got my cogs turning...and my husband moaning when I tell him about my plans and the work it's going to involve!

Tetley - Great idea on the broken paving slabs for your walls. Your garden looks lovely.

Heidi - Thankyou so much for the drawings! They have certainly inspired me and Im thinking of a design very similiar to that now. This has helped me see how to create designs as well so thankyou very much.

We already have a large patio to fit a table and chairs on another side of the garden which gets the sun in the morning and early afternoon so we only need to be able to fit our rattan outdoor sofa on the right hand side. It just squeezes in there now so only needs to be slightly wider than it is to look better.

I'm loving the path up to the top of the border as y0ou'll be able to sit up there and bask in the sun surrounded by flowers. Bliss.

I'd really like some lights down there as well to uplight the plants... I think I've sold this idea to the husband image

I was catching up on Monty Dons 'Big Ideas, Small Spaces' last night and they showed the Stipa Gigantea which I quite liked the look of.

I've got a lot of work to do!!...and a lot of planning..

First things first though, I need to get some conifers dug up to make way for my greenhouse so I can hopefully grow the seedlings I've just sown..

• A little update on this! Today we moved 4 tonnes of topsoil into our new borders.... what do you think? 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,774

Well done Laura, you've turned an awkward area you couldn't really use for anything into a lovely new place with lots of possibilities!   Looks great even before you've planted it up.image

Last edited: 13 July 2016 22:19:36

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,099

Looks terrific Laura and I love your walls  image

The fun starts now!

That horse is going to have a helluva headache in the morning though...image  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thankyou! My husband has done a blemin brilliant job of the walls. He'd never built a wall before! We had to knock the stone one down to bring it forward a bit. 

The patio just needs sorting now and the steps up the middle...and then the decking, the stone garden path needs re-routing, play area creating....haha we'll get there eventually. 

But now the fun begins with the planting! I'm a little unsure of where to start though..there are so many plants I like that I fear it may end up looking a bit dogs dinnerish.. 

Any tips for designing a border from scratch?..

• Tetley says:

Well you have made a jolly good job of that.  It looks great, and you will have a lovely time planting it up. That corner with the rubble is asking for a water feature   image

Well done Laura. image

See original post

Thankyou Tetney,  I'll pass the praise onto my husband as he's done the hard graft! We're laying a stone patio on the right where the rubble is. We have got a little water fountain going in but that's on another part of the garden image

• Heidi92Heidi92 Posts: 11

Wow Laura, that looks stunning already! Your husband and you must be really proud. :)

• Tetley says:

I have a similar bank, and the same idea as you Laura.  It is now done and it has worked well....it took me ages, but was worth it.  I have built the double flat beds, and have laid a shingle path along the top one with little paving slabs dotted along it to make it easier to walk along.  I made steps to access the top bed, and can reach the lower one easily from the front.  As you have so many mature trees behind the fence, it may be an idea to replace with an open wire or trellis fence, as climbers would have somewhere to get a hold on, and would not hurt your pocket so much.  A rampant rambling rose would look better than fence panels.

Once you get cracking and make a start, it will not seem so daunting.  Can you post a few more pics on here as you progress, and then we can chip in and say what we think....and give you a bit of encouragement maybe  image

See original post

Tetley, do you have a photo of your shingle path that you could post please?  Also, how deep did you dig to create the path?  Thanks Tracy

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

Hiya Tetley. Tracy's sloping bank is this one....

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/garden-design/steep-back--garden-sloping-towards-house/990729.html

A brand new project, looking for inspiration image

• Thanks Tetley & Kitty 2,  I've Googled and checked Pinterest but most of the pics are of finished projects or with teams and diggers...not individual gardeners.  image