Imagination required!

Our living room patio doors look out onto this pile of mud and I'd like to try and transform it into something beautiful to look out onto!

The fence panels need replacing and the patio to the right needs making slightly bigger to fit a table and chairs on. I was thinking maybe widen it to where the holly is planted?

It is a south west facing border so does get good sun. The soil is pretty dry so I will be adding topsoil and well rotted manure once I know what Im doing with it.

Because of the slope, I think the bed needs to be 'stepped' to create 2 flat beds so for this to happen I think the wall needs to be brought forward.

I have to be able to reach two of the concrete posts as my washing lines hook onto them. 

In terms of planting style, I like cottage garden type with full borders and I love all colours.

Any ideas or advice? It's looking like quite a mammoth task!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,744

Your new seating area needs to be the width of the table plus a minimum; I would say, of a metre either side for chairs and movement round it.

I wouldn't make a stepped bed but I would raise the height of the existing wall.  If you can bring it up to chair seat height it will be extra seating for having a casual cuppa.   I would fork over the soil first and then push it back while you raise the wall and then level it and fork on plenty of well rotted manure and garden or bought in compost to improve the soil.

Planting can be anything you fancy really as long as it likes full sun.   You could include spring bulbs and then a selection of perennials to take you through the seasons with annuals to fill the gaps for the first year.

I would also consider getting a whirlygig clothes dryer so you don't have to trample your new treasures to put your line out.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,400

I'd agree with Tetley about getting some climbers to disguise the fence - there'll be plenty of choice for that aspect with a bit of soil improvement as mentioned.

Do you need to have a seating area there? What are the other areas of the garden like for doing that? obelixx is right - you need quite a bit of room for a table and chairs so, rather than shoehorning it in, you might be able to locate that somewhere else and perhaps have a bench or something similar if you want a seat there.

A timber revetment wall is quite easy to do if you want to make one big bed. Sleepers would do the job really well if you don't want to go to the expense of stone/brick. A cheaper alternative that you can do yourself is posts concreted in and covered with exterior ply. You can then face them with timber of your choice and put a timber coping on it - to form the seat as obelixx describes. I did that in a previous garden.   Budget and time can be big factors when doing any project of that type image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• What about a (scented) wildflower border?  Low maintenance (in theory), very colourful and good for bees!

I love your raised beds Tetley. They look splendid with the planting in full flow. The edges are getting really good coverage now  image

I have a load to get rid of but don't really have a place where I could recycle mine the same way unfortunately. Would you like them? image

image...err....image....umm....maybe I can fit them in here after all...image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,981

Nice one Tetleyimage

• Heidi92Heidi92 Posts: 11

A little bit of visual inspiration for you Laura as if I was doing it for myself. I hope they help inspire your plans. Also a lot does depend on your budget and how much work you are willing to put in. (This is way out of scale!) lol. ????

P.s. Would love to see your finished project.