Soil or compost in New garden boxes

What do fill new garden boxes with, is it top soil or compost or a mixture of both. Shall I put some fish, blood and bone in when I plant it.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,218

Are they biggish? If so, I'd throw the lot in.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Is it permanent planting or temporary?

• Sizeyuk1Sizeyuk1 Posts: 125

They are 4' long x 2' deep x 18" wide and I want to plant possibly Hebes, Cordelynes and similar, with some trailing summer bedding around the edges.

That could work out expensive for 4 planters, would I be ok with top soil, compost and a good feed.

Meant to say John Innes could work out expensive.

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,805

I have a similar 'problem' with some planters I got last year (not quite as deep as yours!).

I am gathering up as much polystyrene packing as I can to fill the bottom to save on soil and then a mixture of John Innes,multi-purpose and anything else I can find!

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,864
    Sizeyuk1 wrote (see)

That could work out expensive for 4 planters, would I be ok with top soil, compost and a good feed.

Topsoil, compost and slow release fertiliser should do the job.  I certainly hope so anyway as I need to top up some 12' x 4' raised planters where the soil has dropped by about 6" since they were constructed a couple of years ago.  JI or other compost would cost a fortune.