How can i protect my Fruit trees

Hello,

I have several fruit trees and wondered how I could stop aphids and ants,

I have tried grease bands but these didn't work, I have tried spraying soap fluid on leaves which worked a bit .

don't really want to use pesticides so wondered if I could plant anything around the base of the trees

Darran

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,102

The ants will go if you get rid of the aphids. The ants are drinking the sugary stuff that the aphids excrete - aphid pee, if you like.

To get rid of the aphids without pesticides you can try a strong hose jet on the tree, or hang bird feeders in the tree to encourage the birds to take a look around.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

I thought grease bands were meant to stop moth caterpillars not ants.

• 8000wildflowers8000wildflowers Posts: 266

Hi, at my old house I had the same problem with the plum tree and didn't use chemicals. 

I agree a few feeders of seeds and fat balls will get the blue tits in there and they'll eat the bugs whilst waiting for their turn feeding.

Also, ladybirds are good and it's a bit longer term but if you don't have them, buy them online (seriously). I didn't have any as it was a new garden so I bought some ladybird larvae online (from green gardener I think) and put them in the tree when they hatched. For years it was a haven for ladybirds and larvae, every time I pruned it I had to rescue them / put back onto the tree. The larvae / youngsters look creepy but they eat loads of aphids.