Forum home Plants

Arum lily / Zantedeschi growing conditions

mjd2000mjd2000 Posts: 87

I've just started gardening for a couple of ladies, and one of them wants to grow arum lilies in her border. She's bought them from the garden centre and they are just labelled as a generic 'zantedeschia'. According to the RHS zantedeschia should be grown in water, but other sites and forums say they can grow in the ground. I've no experience with these - how can I best grow them to flower and do well - and how big will they get?? Thank you for any advice. The border she wants them in is east facing on clay.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,482

Mine grow in heavy clay soil near the pond,but not IN it.

Don't let them dry out. In flower they're approaching 1m tall.

Devon.
  • I have seen these growing wild in South Africa, they were in boggy conditions with partial shade. In this country they tolerate slightly drier and sunnier conditions.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,482

This was taken on Feb 5th this year

Devon.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,172

In the swan river area of Western Australia, they are a weed of boggy ground, and regarded as a nuisance.

Here in the East Midlands, they are borderline hardy. I resorted to sinking them in a large bucket in the boggy area at the side of the pond, and then lifting and keeping frost free in the winter.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • They grow like weeds in SA, we had masses in a very boggy partially shady area and they thrived!  Here though, I've failed miserably so far image.  Mine this year seem to be attacked by what I assume are slugs... Does anyone have issues with theirs being munched? 

• Here in Cornwall they stay reasonably green year round. If you can, make a wet area - maybe line a depression with polythene and back fill with rich organic muck - they will repay your efforts. Best to cover the crowns with a good thick mulch in Autumn as soon as the leaves have collapsed. Better still to plant them with a few inches of water over the crown. They will get about 1m tall in summer and make substantial clumps.

• mjd2000mjd2000 Posts: 87

Looks like they would be better off in a damp area of the garden. Thank you everyone!

• Hi all. I have this growing in a damp area, it has never flowered, 4 years since it was planted. any advice?