Lawn maintenance

Inherited a large mossy lawn and tried to research how to improve it. I have found so many ideas I am unsure in which order to tackle it.

I have available

a fork to aereate, a lawn rake, an electric scarifier,3 in 1 feed/weed and moss treatment.

How do I integrate these into a coherent strategy.  Thanks

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

If you've got lots of moss then your lawn is either in shade or the drainage isn't what it should be, or a combination of both. Drainage can be improved by aereating the lawn and brushing grit into the holes. There will be differing opinions on what to do first but personally I'd scarify, aereate then treat. Brush as much grit as you can into the lawn and depending how bad the drainage is even consider a top dressing of grit which will work its way into the soil. Lawns aren't a quick fix problem it can take several years  to improve things.

• Dress mossy patches with iron and water well in. Leave a couple of weeks until the moss turns black. Scarify well then apply farmers strength grass feed. Water lots not letting the grass get dry. This will strengthen the grass roots and it will soon bulk up. It certainly works for me.

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,016

As catherine says first kill the moss, scarify and then aerate.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • John  3John 3 Posts: 3

Thanks for your advice