Forum home Plants

Clematis - pruned it too hard

Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

I have a clematis Pillu which I've had for a couple of years.  I've just looked up the pruning group and it says light pruning (group 2).  I've been cutting it down to the ground.  What are the chances of survival ? I cut it back a few weeks ago and no sign of life currently.

Really annoyed with myself.  image

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,565

It probably will survive but you won't get the early flush of double flowers, they bloom on last year's stems, but you should get some good growth by the time the second flush is due. Mine aren't showing growth yet, but they will.

Maybe go easy on it next year then you will get the two lots.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• davids10davids10 Posts: 894

It should sprout from below the soil-it just takes longer. If it was a double you will probably only get single flowers on the new growth.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,565

It is a double first then single. The doubles grow on last year's growth.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,175

As Lyn says - it'll probably come back. Two years of growth is nothing in clematis terms. Just be kind to it next time Peanuts  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• If, as you say, you have only had the Piilu a couple of years then long term the hard pruning will be beneficial, you should end up with a bushier, sturdier, plant.

You can revert back to the ( so called ) Group 2 pruning next year.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,054

It should be fine and all the betetr for it as Richard says.

I treat all my group 2s as group 3s because most if not all of their top growth usually gets frozen to death in winter and it's easier than trying to clear out just the dead stems.  I give them a good handful of slow release clematis food about now and if it's dry, a drink of liquid tomato food as a tonic around Easter.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw