Advice on weed burners please..

Hi there so i've recently just joined my local in bloom group... we have a problem area of brick weave patio which gets covered in weeds and moss... ( personally i like moss but it make the area slippery for the public so needs to go)  Weed killers were suggested however I hate weed-killers and the damage they can do.. so i suggested a weed burner... they liked the idea but now i have a minefield of information online to go through on a potential one to buy... and i wondered if you guys with all your wisdom could help with some pointers... I dont think we need anything too industrial but one that would be up to the task and last..

Any advice is greatly appreciated.. thanks guys image

• Mel MMel M Posts: 347

A gardener I once knew sprinkled salt on weeds between the bricks on a patio. Killed them right off.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,864

Much as you may dislike the idea of using weedkiller, many of them become inert once they hit the soil so they aren't as damaging as you may think.  A weed burner will kill all forms of life not just the weeds.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,089

a strimmer followed by a sweeping works wondersimage

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,254

I bought a small weed burner, wasn't very successful. Killed the top growth, but not the roots, weeds grew back.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Bonsai-MarcBonsai-Marc Posts: 444

i use salt and vinegar solution for lots of my weeds and also get out the weed burner in summer

it does help but yes you will be doing again but its a quick and easy way

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,254

I feel very good, the other day I pulled or knifed all the weeds out of the cracks in the paving on the kitchen terrace. I agree with Tetley about no salt. I bought a wide heavy duty hoe thing, for earthing up potatoes, it's great for hoeing off moss.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Bonsai-MarcBonsai-Marc Posts: 444

the salt and vinegar goes on the weeds, in cracks , not into flower beds etc

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,089

Salt and vinegar is ice on chipsimage

• Thanks for all your advice guys really appreciate it.. as it's a community garden there is only so much graft one person can do.. but i think i agree about the burners and the salt.. looks like I'll be scrubbing again if I don't want them to use pesticides lol..

Thanks again image
  • Yes we've got a lot of new volunteers and we've organised a work party but no one wants to scrub the patio lol but they want it clear.. hence the pesticides.. so thought I would look for another option but looks like some scrubbing and hard work is going to be the only way to get the job done without harming the environment image cheers for all the advice..