Where to get pine chippings from

I've been looking around for pine bark chippings to use dual purpose for a small 'play area' and for mulching ericaceous plants.  I don't need much, so don't want to get a bulk bag, but that's the only way I can see from google where I can get it from.

Surely this can't be the case?  I've checked the usual DIY shops online and can't see that they stock this either.

So where can I buy it from?

• John45John45 Posts: 9

Just a thought, have you checked with any local tree surgeons in your area.  I have noticed them shredding this sort of stuff.

• mike 14mike 14 Posts: 7

If you require only pine bark you need to find a person that does fence post peeling. It is a process that takes just the bark off the post. the posts are often pine. If you can get away with any chipped wood do what John45 suggests.

• Andy LeedsAndy Leeds Posts: 512

Thanks for the suggestions - I think I want any softwood bark (doesn't specifically have to be pine?) for an ericaceous bed rather than standard bark?

I've already got several bags of 'normal' bark for other areas of the garden.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,993

I've just ordered some 50L bags of bark chippings from creative garden ideas.
    Their compost is also good value if you consider their bags are 70L and not 50L - certainly cheaper than B&Q etc and free dleivery over £30

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Andy LeedsAndy Leeds Posts: 512
    Don't think that's softwood chips / bark though?
  • John45John45 Posts: 9

If you put "pine bark chippings into your search engine you will find numerous firms that sell it.  Hope this helps.