owl

at 7 this eve i thought i heard an owl, i thought i heard one in the early hours a few days ago but then thought i'd imagined it because i really wanted to hear one... then this evening it kept hootin, so me & my 4 year old came up to the attic and watched and listened to this owl for 10 minutes! it was too dark to see well but saw him/her shuffle as he/she hooted,staying on the same branch of the 100 year old tree directly outside our house, we live really near city centre, though immediately across from botanical gardens, what a treat! i don't know who was more excited, me or my daughter! does anyone know what type of owl it's likely to be? it looked fairly large& certainly didn't screech!

• iceice Posts: 320
    Possibly a tawny owl
  • rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,013

just googled owls in urban areas that's what it suggests, thanks ice, i just am very easily excited!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,883

youtube has lots of recordings of bird call. Have a listen.

Start with tawny and barn are the most common hereimage

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,013

thanks nut, fairly sure it was a tawny, it was just quite special watching and listening with my daughterimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,883

I love hearing owls at night. We put up an owl box years ago in the hope that some would come and live here, nothing yetimage

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,555

It's the male Tawnys that do the 'woo', the females say 'keewick'! It's easy to hear them and not recognise them as owls if you don't knowimage I get them occasionally here, but I've never heard both sexes at the same time.

• LandlubberLandlubber Posts: 396

yes, sounds like a tawny owlimage

• I was very excited to see an owl in our special owl box a few years ago - it comes and goes during the year but never seen a mate with it. I am not surprised you were excited rosemummy - having the owl so close - and knowing that it will help get rid of any unwanted furry creatures with long tails that may be living nearby. Our owl is a barn owl and it makes a sort of pathetic screech noise.