Seedlings and propagation

Like alot of people I have started to get seeds sowed in the house now for planting out. I dont have a propagator- following the place in a sealed clear bag advice. This is working very well. Question. Is it ok to have the seeds trays in my sitting room ( the warmest room in my house) or will inhaling the smell from the soil ( I used the recommended alternative to seed starter - sifted all purpose compost- some are lightly covered with vermiculite) be harmful? I have started seeds in the house before but put them high up on cupboards in the kitchen.

• I suffer from a lot of allergies and intolerances begonia3 but I have never had a problem with seeds being sown indoors. If your seeds trays are in sealed bags - then surely there will be no seeping of smells anyway. Good luck with your seedlings.

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

should be fine, i have trays all over in our house at the mo, all on high windowsills where little fingers can't interfere too much..!will be putting out asap ..so i can sow more and start it all again!

• Natalie LNatalie L Posts: 125

hi all will I be able to sow these? Will they be any good, I've never done it before so I'm looking for a step by step? Thank you

• You have a good selection of colourful flower seeds in that packet Natalie L. I would follow the instructions and as they seem to cover the general seed sowing routine. If you have any more specific questions then I am sure that we will be able to advise you although we all have our own particular way of ensuring good seed sowing. I am not a hanging basket person so perhaps someone with this specific knowledge could advise you further.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,574

Divide your trays into four Aym or sow in smaller pots.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Natalie LNatalie L Posts: 125
    thanks for your help, could I just put all those seeds into one hanging basket and leave them or on a window sill? would that not work?
  • rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

aym I too am running out of pots... I thought I had enough !(never enough compost, never enough pots!)

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,738

Just remember that seedlings need light - they'll soon become weak and leggy if they're in a warm environment for long. You then have issues getting them outside unless they'e going into a greenhouse.

Natalie - don't make the mistake of sowing all your seeds into a small area. If they all germinate, you'll have to remove most of them! Sow sparingly into small pots or trays, then prick out into individual pots when the seedlings are big enough to handle. You don't need too many plants for one basket. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.