Manure for beds and pots

Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Hi there guys, 

I've never fertilised with manure before (I'm a bit of a beginner so apologises) but have had 6 full bags since early December from the stables. Is it too late now spring is upon us to lay some out in beds and pots which are directly in the sun until forking in around May time? Will nitrogen levels still be too high and kill the small amount of plants coming up/new ones I intend to plant?

Thanks! image

• JerryBoneJerryBone Posts: 91

Hi, I'm no expert on when to  add manure to beds. But I usually add some well rotted manure to my beds when I prepare them for the year ahead, which is about now. Also around perennials that we just starting to show sprouts, I believe you can do this near enough any time.

The only thing I would say is just be certain that the manure is well rotted, otherwise it could burn the plants although I think yours will be fine, again I'm no expert on how long it takes for manure to be considered well rotted... But if it has no smell to it I generally think its okay.

The nutrients leeches out of the manure into the soil when it rains or when you water so I wouldn't worry about there being too much nutrients.

I have no idea if this has been helpful but hopefully it has been image Just don't worry too much and if you feel like it will do more harm than good, then just add a little amount for now and see how the plants react.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,226

If it's dark and crumbly and doesn't smell you can use it now.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I wouldn't use it in pots mark too rich. Has to be well rotted, a crumbly texture to use now. Manure is best applied in autumn IMHO. It's contents are distributed more evenly that way and the worms get a chance to work it deeply into the soil.  As Jerry says burning can be an issue if it's not well rotted due to the high urine content.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,622

Basically, if it still looks like poo in straw, leave it until it looks as Lizzie describes.image

Devon.
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Thanks for the responses guys, I tested some on the bed 2 weeks ago, March sun seems to have dried it out - no longer smells and is crumbly! 

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

i used chicken manure on everything this year as someone gave me some free bags.

I now have grass and multiple "things" sprouting all over the garden where the manure went.

• JerryBoneJerryBone Posts: 91

I use rabbit manure as I have had 3 rabbits for the past 4 years, I simply add it to my compost bins and by the time the compost is ready the manure has rotted down perfectly. Great free compost with added manure! You cant get any better!

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Oh nice ideas guys. I've read chicken manure is a lot easier, maybe I should pester the farms next instead of the stables image