Forum home Tools and techniques

spades

hi there, I am after buying a new spade. Any recommendations.  I would like one with a straight blade (not curved at the edges) if  that makes sense ...TIA

• JerryBoneJerryBone Posts: 91

Id recommend finding a local boot sale! People sell them off there like they're nothing! I got a good quality flat bladed spade for £2.50 at my local boot sale and its lasted really well.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,272

Make sure it has a flat top to put your boot on when digging, not sharp shoulders. I like stainless steel as it slides through the earth better. And it needs a decent length of metal up the handle to strengthen it.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,797

I'd say, don't buy online. Boot sales, as Jerry says are great for tools. I bought a very good stainless steel spade from Lidl, of all places. Wherever you buy it, try it for size, weight and comfort of use. 

Some you might find too short/long or too heavy. We're all different, but I'd agree with Lizzie about a flat top to the blade, otherwise your boots will be ruined in no time.

Devon.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,246

By a flat top do you mean the kind that is bent back in a sort of upside down L shape?

You see, we are all different because I bought one like that and it drives me potty. It catches on anything and everything that gets near it - all the time. I never use it. I have one that is just a flat sheet of metal with no curled over bit at the top. And strong soles.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

tee hee pansy, as I said, " we're all different"

I find, no matter what my soles are like, the flat bladed typed tend to leave me with a sore foot.

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,869

I find that, being a 'girl', I get on better using a Border spade rather than a full sized one.  It saves my back image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I'm happy to admit, even being a great big lump of a bloke, I use a border fork if I'm working on a big area.

I can use one all day long, but a "normal" one leaves me aching in no time.

I'm still hugely fond of my 75 + year old potato fork though.

Devon.
  • thanks for all the advice, there is a car boot coming up in a couple of weeks near me, might have to wander over there,  Also thanks Dovefromabove did wonder whether a spade would be too heavy,,,,, might try a border spade image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,272

When digging heavy soil I find a fork easier.

Dordogne and Norfolk

I always did with a fork. I only really use a spade if I'm digging something out of the ground.

Devon.