Long Tailed Tits

Sorry folks couldn't resist sharing this with you all!

I have Long Tailed Tits nesting in the garden this year, it's great fun watching them fighting over the feathers lying around the garden with the blackbirds.

The LT Tits are working together, steeling feathers and nesting material from other birds mainly the sparrows and blackbirds.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,525

You lucky thing image  We sometimes see them searching the tree trunks and brick walls for little cobwebs to bind the feathers and moss together - magical image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• cornellycornelly Posts: 645

We see them, but not so much this spring at home, see them at a local "Nature Reserve", we enjoy all the birds, I am a member of BTO Garden Birdwatch, and take great pleasure in attracting birds to the garden, our feeders are in full view through the dining room window, so the birds are often in view, we have slabbed below the feeders  with flagstones for the ground feeders, so a good range of birds are tempted.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,987

Turn round and look the other way aymimage

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,543

Lovely Mark image

Would be lovely if you get a chance to get some photos too. They're such delightful little birds. 

Used to have a  regular bunch of then round the corner - none showing up in this garden so far, but I'm hoping they'll find their way in.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I havent had long tailed tits bu I have had blue tits come in my garden for a look-see. Been all round the outside of the nesting box and inside and then flew across to other side of my garden and landed on the vertical brick wall with just their claws holding them up. Amazing birds! image

• cornellycornelly Posts: 645

Put out the right seed feed and most song birds attend the feeders, we average 15 different birds daily, from crows down to little wrens, plenty of blue great and coal tits, plus finches gold green and chaff, and blackbirds,we feed sunflower hearts in the feeders, mixed seed for the ground feeders

• Gosh - lucky fish!! I would love LT tits to nest in our garden!  We have blue tits nesting but there is something quite lovely about the long tailed ones! 

• We also have blue tits nesting in our garden - we have five lots of different feed stations with nuts, seeds, niger seeds etc. but very few birds actually nest in our garden now which is sad.

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,012

we have 4 who visit most days, i was out on my own early one morning last week and one came and perched a foot away, they may be my favourites too, absolutely gorgeous, saw a siskin for the 1st time on an outing to a local-ish farm/park  with family on sunday,couldn't believe the colour, so lovely

• Robins are lovely little birds - so friendly and quite tame too and usually solitary - a few weeks ago I saw 4 in a small area - but that is very unusual around here - usually 2 at most. Unfortunately next door now have a cat - I love cats but this cat seems to spend all it's time prowling around under our bird feeders - not good from the bird's point of view or mine.