Forum home Plants

Tree ID please

Lorna95Lorna95 Posts: 436

Would anyone be able to tell me what this tree is, I'm not sure if you can as it's really not in leaf, just these fury type things.

Thank you for any help.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,204

It's a Salix (willow) possibly Salix caprea or Goat willow. 

One of the several types of willows which have the typical Pussy Willow catkins at this time of year.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• RedwingRedwing SussexPosts: 1,227

I agree with Dove.

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • Lorna95Lorna95 Posts: 436

Thanks Dovefromabove, I thought all willow trees hung downwards but just looked it up and not all of them do by the looks of the photo's. Do you know if the trees's get very big, as you can see in the photo it's not to far from the back wall.  Not sure if I should take it out or not.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,553

Not a tree for a small garden, they do get big, their roots are big and apart from the pretty catkins, aren't much of a garden plant.

Thanks nut, I will have to see if one of the community gardens would like it, if I can get it up without damaging it. Could you recommend a small tree of tall bush that would go over a 6ft wall, maybe something that birds and bees like. Any suggestions would be great, thank you for your help.

It will have grown from a windborn seed - they spring up all over the place and they do get big and their roots aren't good near your foundations and drains. 

It's only really suitable for a really large wild-type garden.  I'd cut it down quick and paint the stump with SBK Brushwood Killer. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Willows strike easily from cuttings.  If a community garden really wants one, cut some twigs from yours before you cut it down, and stick them in some damp soil.  You'll have a whole load of fast growing little trees by next autumn, and winter will be the ideal time to dig them up and plant them in their permanent position. 

I'd replace it with a crab apple, Malus Golden Hornet would be ideal - blossom for the insects, fruit for the birds, and suitable for small gardens image

Thanks Dove, will get that done this weekend as we should be getting some good weather, we did have a big eucalyptus in the garden before and we cut that down and managed to get the stump out as well, if we can't get the stump out on this one then I will get that stuff.

Do you recommend any bush or small tree which would go in front of a a 6ft wall that is not too big.image

Thanks Dove, we must of been typing at the same time, I will give that ago with the twigs, Thank you for the info on what plants to looks for I will see what they are like and then see if the garden centre has them, thank you so much for all your help.image

You and I probably cross-posted just then image 

Malus Golden Hornet would be perfect.