Forum home Wildlife gardening

Id please

I found this on the back wall of the shed, it's been there for quiet a few months, can anybody tell me what it is.

would be interesting to know, thanks for any help.image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,126

It's the chrysalis of some sort of moth or butterfly - hopefully the adult will emerge in the warmer weather. 

Maybe someone cleverer than me will be able to name the type ...

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Lorna95Lorna95 Posts: 436

Thank you Dove.image

• This is large in size I think.

How Long is it?

Do you live anywhere near the fens, Norfolk, Suffolk or anywhere near Wicken Fen (Cambridgeshire) or Milton Keynes?

Photos can be misleading re size .......... it's hard to tell from that image .......... but are you thinking Swallowtail, Mark?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Hi Mark, It's just over 2cm long, I no longer live in the UK I live in Southern Ireland now. 

• I am yes, but I wouldn't of thought just over 2cm would be big enough though. Southern Ireland works though. Googling for more info.

In the photo it looks a fair bit bigger than 2cm, photos are deceiving.

Just looked up swallowtail, I have never seen one of the them before, I have been over here for just over 12 year and have never seen one of them. Would be lovely if it was.image

• Swallowtail is recorded in Southern Ireland annually but in very small numbers. It is spreading slowly.

It actually looks upside down and back to front to me. I'm guessing we are looking at its underside, upside down!

Can't find dimensions for Swallowtail or (Papilio machaon) but shape and colour look good. In photo it just looks big enough but I don't think it is.

I'm probably totally completely wrong but it was my initial instinctive ID without looking it up.

Don't think 2cm is big enough for a swallowtail.  There are quite a few butterflies and moths that have cocoons that shape ......... you'll have to keep an eye on it - you might just be lucky enough to see it emerge .........

Well I've never seen one of them Mark, but I will definitely be on the look out for them, would be lovely to see. The way you see it in the photo how it looks, when you look at it, it does look like it's upside down.

Dove I have only had a few different butterflies in the garden, 2 different orange ones, the white ones that love cabbages and last year I see a brown one for the first time in the garden, by the time I get my camera they have already gone, I always see it every day so hopefully I will get to see it emerge, I know I have quiet a few different moths so maybe it's one of them but I would love it to be a different butterfly.

Thank you both for your help.