Forum home Plants

Not sure what these are.

Mel MixMel Mix Posts: 3

Hi all, new here and my other half and I purchased our home in December and it's time to finally get out in the gardens. Cleaning up this garden and I found these bulbs under all the dead stalks. First pic bulb, second pic is one sprouting and the third pic is all the old dry stalks that I need to clean up, they are woody and snap easy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,392

HOSTAS. HURRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Devon.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,392

no2 could be split to make a few new plants. 

Take an old bread knife and make sure you have both the purple shoots and roots .

Devon.
  • StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,087
    Same as Hostafan

I would get it soaked in water so the roots do not dry out or pot it up until you are ready to divide of plant out

Good luck with your garden
  • Mel MixMel Mix Posts: 3

Thank you all so much for the help, Some of the clumps are huge and to me they were planted way to close to the foundation of the house so they will be planted more in the middle to allow a good growing area for them, the ones I am keeping I have them back in soil in pots for now until I get my other bulbs figured out.image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,179

They won't cause any issue with foundations Mel - they're all perennials  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,087
    Hi Mel

Hosta thrive in part shade and in sun but they will need watering regularly if placed in a sunny spot. Dig in good quality manure when you plant them and regular watering at least once a week
  • Mel MixMel Mix Posts: 3

I just walked around to the other side of my house and to my delight, there are a bunch more planted over there that are already about 4 inches high, those ones will all be staying there, it's not a full sun exposure over that side, excited to see how they look. image