Garden Ponds...

Appalled as I am by the tragic loss of the twin boys, I was disheartened to hear some of Jeremy Vine and Middle England earlier today, happily suggesting that all ponds be filled in without a care in the world about wildlife...

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,864

Sadly Steve it's the typical over reaction of the Nanny State supporters these days.  One incident, tragic as it is, and there are the cries to ban x, y or z. 

On the incident in question, something I heard on the radio yesterday suggests it may not be a pond but a tank of some kind which was buried in the garden by the landlord.  I don't know any more than that, just that there were comments about possible landlord liability in this case because it was unsafe.  I can't see the 'unsafe' and 'landlord liability' applying to a conventional fish pond as the occupants of the property would obviously be aware of a pond.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,721

I read that it was a holding tank for a stock of koi kept by the previous owner/landlord who had sold fish commercially.  It should obviously have been secured or drained and filled.

I cannot stand JV - his whole programme appears to function on the premise that it's good to stress and upset people and make them anxious.  If he can make them cry it makes his day.  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,256

I don't care for JV either.

What I can't understand is how they got into such a big fish tank. Apparently their mother thought they were playing upstairs. 2 years old is too young to leave children alone. I used to lock the back door if I needed the loo so mine wouldn't go outside without me.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 1,757

I think that where young children are concerned you have to make everything super-safe. You WILL lose sight of them for a moment sometimes, they DO get into, on to everything you think you have secured and it is vital to ensure that when they do, there are no open gates, water, knives or chemicals in reach. There can't be many parents who haven't had one of those heart stopping moments but the more cautious you are, the more likely to avoid tragedy.

Yes, you have to try to cover all eventualities and have eyes in the back of your head - that being said, my brother and I grew up on a farm with a large farmyard pond 25 yards from our front door and a moat on three sides.  Our doors had bolts at the top when we were small and they were always on as one of my favourite things was to drag the big grandfather chair to the window and climb on it to see what was going on outside (nosey??? Moi??? image)

There but for the grace of God (whoever he or she may or may not be) go all parents.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/mar/14/police-contact-health-safety-watchdog-twins-rhys-shaun-scott-fish-tank-deaths

Nothing to do with a garden pond - will someone please tell Jeremy Vine to stop trying to stir up  trouble image

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,864
    Busy-Lizzie wrote (see)

I don't care for JV either.

What I can't understand is how they got into such a big fish tank. Apparently their mother thought they were playing upstairs. 2 years old is too young to leave children alone. I used to lock the back door if I needed the loo so mine wouldn't go outside without me.

From what Dove... writes, it's not a 'big fish tank', it is large, probably plastic, tank of the kind you would see pond fish held in at a garden centre.  It can't really be described as a pond in that most people would think of a garden pond as being something with a decorative element to it.  Semantics / pedantic maybe, but maybe helps to understand why the parents were possibly not aware of it.

It must have been very large - it was in a separate lean-to enclosure with an 'observation deck' - apparently it had to have planning permission - sounds huge!

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 1,757

Whatever it was the only important lesson we can learn from it is that all water should be covered or fenced. Many years ago when my son was a toddler I was told a story about a mother who mopped the floor and then sat down for a little rest. She nodded off. When she woke she found her little one head down in the mop bucket, dead. No one can ever guess all the dangers in a perfectly ordinary house and garden and you just have to think through every situation every time.