Forum home Plants

Clematis plug plant offer - advice needed

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,837

Paul - for clematis, it's the depth that's more important really to allow roots to get down deep. It's why clematis don't do so well in shallow areas. When potting on any plant, always go just a size 'up' if you know what I mean - ie, don't take a plant in a 3" pot and put it in a 10" one. It allows roots to develop evenly and fill the pot nicely and support top growth. Keeping them sheltered from weather while small is also important, whatever the plant, until they're big enough for the big bad world  image

Just check what aspect your particular clematis do best in as well, when you plant them out. Some are happy in any aspect, some need a bit of shade or the flowers bleach, some need a sheltered position. Giving them the optimum conditions will give them the best chance to do well. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • SparklesJDSparklesJD Posts: 344

Thanks Jinxy - it's all in the search terms!

If it's a sunny site for the flowers, could you plant around the base to create shade for the roots?

I know some plants don't like their roots being disturbed (or particularly hate it - I can't imagine any plant likes it).

• darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    I used to drive past a rather large Montana Rubens, it was Most of the way up a poplar tree.

Quite a sight in flower, I'd imagine the root system was immense .
  • I've seen it suggested for clematis that you plant on the opposite side of a tree if it is in the sun. My rubens will (eventually) be planted on the northern side of a very large tree at the end of my garden, to be trained around to the south and the sun (if all goes well) image

btw Sparkles - there is a site which is offering a very decent price for clematis pots on Amazon - they are selling 10 (+p&p) for the same price as 2 (-p&p). I'm gonna have a look in the help yourself bin at the GC today. I've just looked through my pot store (how sad is that) and I have 1 already that I picked up from there - I did wonder what it was for in particular. image

• darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    There's a white picket fenced garden near me, covered in Montana , must take some serious management to keep it confined to the fence. Really something to look at though.
  • Gone a bit quiet on this thread so attaching a couple of pictures of my four plug clematis from Ray Evison, Montrose (GW offer). Not sure what to do now with the two more vigorous plants as they have grown to the top of their support - do I just add a taller bamboo - or do you think they are ready to be planted out yet?

I don't know which is which as I muddled the names when potting them up but they are Freckles, Blue Dancer, Rubens & Ernest Marcham - as you can see two are advanced & two are shorter & stockier and not so advanced in growth.

• Left to Right,

Blue Dancer

montana rubens,

Freckles

Ernest Markham

• Yes, that's brilliant - thank you aym & Richard - thank you for sharing your knowledge. I will write some labels ready for tomorrow. Can hardly believe that you can buy clematis so cheaply aym - they are £5.00 + at B&Q or approx £10.00 at GC

• .........and, don't forget, if you buy your plants at Morrisons instead of the traditional nurseries or Garden Centres you can get invaluable cultural advice,

Tracy on the corned beef counter at Preston is a fountain of knowledge...........

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,837

Richard image

GD - bear in mind that your clematis are all still tiny, young plants. Dearer plants reflect the maturity, and the amount of time the grower has to spend getting them to that stage. It takes several years for a clematis to get to full size from tiny beginnings  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...