Compost success!

After three years of thinking I'll never get the hang of making compost, I dug over the compost bin to discover that under the dry top layer there was rich lovely compost! What a treat! 

The compost bin doesn't get much sun; is that perhaps why it's taken so long to break down? I didn't spot any worms - I thought there would be lots in there.

I have spread it across a new bed and also into my raised veg beds with some left over to put in the greenhouse bed. 

And the dry stuff on the top......

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

If you can get hold of it Tootles horse manure is a great starter and chuck in a few garden worms they soon go mad and it'll be full of worms. Well done by the way.

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

Well doneimage great for your garden 

don't worry about lack of sun or worms, compost is more about what's going on inside image the worms will be there and what you use to mulch the garden will magically attract them 

onwards and upwards image

• Toot-toot, Toots!

• I know once I dug a trench for my marrows and filled it with new fresh nettle tops, a crazy amount of work for me to do but I filled the trench with them and grass cuttings. I had massive marrows that year...

I would never use horse dung due to the risk of having a cut, but that could be an old wives belief, I do not know but wouldn't adding seaweed to compost heaps be better?

• davids10davids10 Posts: 894

rooty-toot-toot, composting is great. Sounds and looks like you had a cold heap which tales longer, but if you have the time it works!

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Thanks. I've been using compost making powder from Wilkos. I also put the odd garden worm in there (although I always feel a bit guilty about that - weird I know!)

i had four garden truggs full. Well worth doing. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,710

Michael, can I have your share of horse dung please. image

Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,269

There's nothing better than horse muck on the heap. I don't know what Michael means about having a cut? 

The smaller you can chop the stuff you put on the quicker it rots down. It's best to fill the bin, turn it about to get sir in, then cover it down and start another one.

we have a turn over of 2 months in the summer, and yes, full sun on it is better.

everything will rot eventually, depends how quick you want it.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 878

I think Michael is referring to the risk of tetanus from manure - but most of us are vaccinated these days anyway or we certainly should be.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,269

Ah, I see, but if he hasn't been vaccinated, any garden soil could give him tetanus. It's not only horse muck.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.