Forum home Problem solving

Whiteflies

Hi does anyone know if it's possible to deter whiteflies or is it something I will have to put up with?  They were a real pain on the veggie plot last year and wondered if I could stop them in their tracks this year. Thanks, Karen

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Tagetes and French marigolds are good at attracting hoverflies which feed on whitefly Karen. They also feed on aphids. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,062

I've known whitefly on greenhouse plants but not outside ... but if that's what you've got I'd use Bayer Organic Bug Free spray which I've found works well on greenhouse plants. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks for the advice. I'm assuming it's whiteflies as they fly off when you disturb the plants and tend to congregate under the leaves. Some of the leaves had white marks under the leaves as well. The brassicas were worst hit

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,133

I haven't had them outside either, but I use the same as Dove, you have to follow up though, one dose doesn't do it.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• It must be the great Peterborough climate image

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,214

I get lots of whiteflies on my brassicas too but they don't seem to do a lot of damage although they are annoying. I might try spraying them this year if the spray is organic and is ok on food crops.

• MarygoldMarygold Posts: 331

Are the white flies on brassicas the same as the greenhouse ones? I think there is something called brassica fly (or did I dream thatimage). I always plant tagetes with my toms and haven't had white fly since I started doing it.

• after 15 years of no problems, planted 1 gardenia.  about 2 months later i got a severe  infestation of whiteflys, never before experienced in the proceeding 15 years. North Texas

particulariy hard hit was the english ivy, whereby the leaves inverted, bootom side up and died along with the stems. very hard hit. but also the abelia seems infested  and the spirea near death.. also asian jasmine infested but have yet to see damage.

deployed lacewings AND encarsia formosa wasp. i mean it cost nearly $50 so why not go all in.

am waiting for results.

point of this post is simply to alert that it seems likely whitewings imported with gardenia, although no conclusive proof.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,889

As this forum has mainly UK members, and Gardenias aren't hardy  in the UK, joblo, I doubt many folk here will have that problem!  image

Hope you can resolve your issue though. Whitefly mainly cause problems in greenhouses here - with tomatoes etc. Heat and humidity. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....