Grazing rye

I'm growing grazing rye in the bed where I planned to put strawberries, but the strawberries arrived today (coldstored plants) and I haven't dug the grazing rye in yet. Will it affect the plants if I dig it in tomorrow and plant the strawberries immediately? I googled, but there seems to be conflicting advice.

• I stuck my strawberries into pots for now, I will plant them out when I get the weather and time then myself. I have made my own paper pots before out of newspaper.

I used a square glass bottle to make them around and use a paper stapler to make the end of the side of the paper firm before making them with folds on the bottom with a little masking tape. I put them into a plastic tray I got my parsnips in from the supermarket, which I saved and can get 8 to fit nicely into each plastic tray.

• Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

Excellent ideas, thanks. They should survive for at least a week in that, that'll give me time.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,150

Your strawbs will be perfectly happy in pots of any kind for quite a while, if you want to wait re the rye, Aster image

I grow mine in pots most of the time anyway. They can also just be heeled into a spare patch of ground temporarily too. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Thanks, Fairygirl! image There are 30 of them, so I think I'll heel them into a planter for a week or two.

I dug in the grazing rye today and it turned out there's no way I would have been able to plant anything there even if I wanted, because it's so lumpy with the clumps of rye. Fingers crossed it'll break down in a week or two. Meanwhile, the strawberry crowns are heeled in in a planter with nice MPC.

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,728

Used grazing rye once Aster - never again - spent the next 2 years digging out stray clumpsimage. Put us right off green manuresimage

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.

Thanks for the warning! I'll use strawberry mats and mulch the rest of the bed that won't be covered with the mats, that should help.