Forum home Wildlife gardening

Amazing Encounter

I had a wonderful moment last nightimage 

I went out side at dusk to shut the front of the shed to keep my 2 newborn lambs safe overnight. In front of it is a sort of fenced alley, which we use when we need to catch and treat the sheep. Looking down to the end to check everyone was inside, I saw a movement. After a fraction of a second I realised it was a badger. I froze and almost stopped breathing. It looked behind, where there was another gate, then looked at me, and to my amazement begn to move towards me. Not panicked or rushing, but quite calmly. It came up to the gate where I was standing , looked at me again and then slipped through the bottom rungs of the gate about 18 inches away from my feet and went happily on its way. There was enough light left to see every detail of its face and the silvery fur on its back, even its feet and tail as it moved past me. It looked to be quite a young animal and in good health. I can still scarcely believe that a wild animal would trust me enough to come close like that and I feel so lucky that I keep breaking out in a big grinimagewhenever I think about it.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,850

I've still never seen a live badger. Dead ones too often. There are badgers very close to my garden, measurable in yards not miles. I'm sure they must come into my garden, my over the road neighbour has seen them in his garden.

• TesniTesni Posts: 163

Wow, how amazing! It came so close to you.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We don't have badgers here BCD. What a lovely experience and to get up so close to you too, perhaps it will visit your garden more often.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Many years ago I was out shooting when I walked around a small stand of trees. There in front of me were 6 female red deer no more than 10 ft from me. I froze they all looked up at me and we both stood there for about 5 minutes. They seemed unconcerned and we're more interested in me than I could believe. I gently backed away and back behind the trees and watched from the edge of the stand. They just sauntered off away from me towards an area of thicket and glanced in my direction before disappearing. I will never forget it. Many years later I heard of a badger sett close to my house. I walked down at about 8pm one autumn evening and sat about 20 ft from the sett. As the light faded I was privileged as several badgers emerged from the sett over a half hour period. It was the first time I had seen badgers in the flesh. It was magical and ended abruptly when a farmer came closer with his dog. I returned on several occasions over the next few weeks and all I can say is that in those moments TV programmes pale into insignificance when witnessing the real thing. There is nothing compared to witnessing real wildlife events. Lucky old you buttercup.image

• archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,155

A few years back . Cycling home from work on the busy north Wales coast road caught site of  a pair by a field  gate. Watched them for 30 minutes image

• archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,155

Badgers I meanimage

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,185

We stayed in a hotel in Somerset, I think, years ago, They made a point of putting scraps from their kitchen out in one particular spot near to the house and invited the guests to sit in the living room and watch the badgers come to eat it. Fantastic.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,289

We knew they were here, there are setts out in the fields, we see where they have been digging for grubs and pignut and we see their tracks in the winter snows, but it is only the second time I have seen one here. The first one was in the car head lights when we came home one night and was running round in a blind panic, poor thing, so all we could was switch off and wait, no chance of a proper view.  By the same token I guess they know we are here, they will smell us and hear us and maybe watch us at times without our knowing. The wild birds get to know we pose no real danger to them and perhaps the badgers can sense the same, or see that the sheep are comfortable with us, who knows. But I still feel...WOWimage

I like knowing they are about but you can't be too sentimental even so. We found unmistakeable badger claw marks on the roof of our chicken house once (about 5 ft up) and a neighbour once found one curled up asleep in her hen run, having over indulged on the rightful occupants! I believe badgers like peanuts and I did contemplate putting some out to encourage them, but on second thoughts decided that might not be the wisest thing - I like my little bantams too!