The Storm With No Name hits our garden

Yesterday's gale, now being called The Storm With No Name, hit us hard here in Devon.  Our boundary fence started collapsing in several places, and worse than that, a timber arch collapsed completely, along with several.plants that had been twining up it for years. A climbing hydrangea snapped right through the stem as it fell, while a well establised clematis and a passion flower have had to be chopped right back.

One reason we had so much damage is that the wind was from the northwest, which is quite an unusual direction. It's really sad to lose plants that simply can't be directly replaced.

I'm not looking for a solution, just sympathy! Did anyone else suffer garden damage yerterday?

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,663
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Miss HMiss H Posts: 4

Yep - garden furniture ended up by the back door! Fence panel broken. Wind from a different direction. Better day today.

• Our water butt blew half way down the garden - it is a huge 6foot tall iron butt. Some trimming on the shed has come down too, thankfully no trees fell but our neighbour has a tree uprooted and fell just feet away from their new greenhouse.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,627

I feel for you. It is so disheartening when something happens to a cherished plant.

I have a similarly weather-related problem. The snowfall a week ago dumped over 8 inches of snow on my garden. We have often had heavy snows before, but it is usually windy as well. This time the snow fell straight and piled up on the branches of the trees. Several trees have suffered some damage, but the worst afflicted is (wasimage) a lovely tall pine tree on our meadow, which lost half its top and some smaller branches, and simply cannot be replaced. It may survive if no infection gets in the wound, but as a mere shadow of its former splendid self. Nothing to be done about it though, trying hard to grin and bear it!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,157

It can be devastating but you do get over it.   Our main wind direction seems to be north westerlies so we put up windbreak fabric to protect our potager and ornamentals.   It then rained so much that the very next storm pushed all the fence posts, with their concrete boots, to an angle of 45°.  They are now buttressed.

We had a hail tornado one May that wiped out my rhubarb patch and all the hostas and left pitted scars on trees, roses, shrubs and ripped clematises apart.    Everything recovered over the summer but it was a shock to me as well as the plants.

We have a trellis panel fence between the potager and ornamentals and it has been drunk for years because of strong winds.   This winter half the panels have had the trellis strips ripped from their frames so we've taken them all down, will redress the posts when the ground thaws and replace the wooden panels with metal builders' mesh which will be indestructible and largely invisible and less wind resistant yet still support my Generous Gardener and all the clems.

Onwards and upwards.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw