Bird Boxes

We had a very successful blue tit family emerge from our nest box last year as shown below

Now this box is sited on the side of the garage pointing in a south-westerly direction. I've since read this is not good due to sun / rain. However last year was a pretty decent summer (warm) and this didn't seem to present a problem. Maybe I / the birds were lucky? So my question is whether or not I should re-site it? I can move it to the end wall of the garage which would then be an Easterly direction.

Second question. My partner has just received a bird box / camera combo which she is keen to see get used this year. Is it too late to put it up this year and would it be acceptable to put it on the opposite end corner to the existing box? I have read that boxes shouldn't bee too close to one another but I don't know what is considered 'too close'. The garage is a pitched tiled roof affair so there's some substantial 'real estate' between opposing diagonal ends of the structure.

Thanks for your advice.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,678

just as well birds don't read eh?image

Devon.
  • RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

In answer to your first question.  East or north facing is usually considered preferable. West and south can get too hot.  If your SW location is shaded by plants or buildings for the afternoon it could be OK.  

In answer to the second question, it is not too late to put another box up but do it soon as blue tits are prospecting now, preferably east or north facing and with a clear flight line, which they like.  I have known tits to nest as close as about 20 yards from each other.    

• OnopordumOnopordum Posts: 390

The white colour of your box probably helps by keeping it cooler. The overhanging roof should also provide a bit of shade.

• 'Too close' isn't a problem - different species don't always compete.

• Had the Blue Tits going in and out of the box today. Looking for an over-winter roosting site maybe?